9.21.2010

On what my education has been lately...

So lately my life consists pretty much of applying for jobs, pestering said jobs, the buying, making, or eating of food, going to the library, reading books, and watching movies.  Our library has a fabulous movie selection so I have been taking full advantage of that.  Here are some things that I have learned in my movie-watching.
1)  Old movies are awesome.  Sure there is the occasional dud, the odd movie that just doesn't quite do it for you, but overall these movies are fabulous.  I already was half-way in love with Paul Newman.  Now I am developing a ridiculous respect for Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, even Clark Gable...the list continues.  Audrey Hepburn.  I have such a strong affection for her I just don't know what to call it.  I have an insanse desire to be her friend and just be able to hang out with the woman.  Yes, I know I can't.  That is besides the point.
2)  Not every foreign film is some work of genius.  I used to try to pretend I enjoyed every foreign film I watched just so I could feel cultured and worldly.  I don't pretend any more.  Some I like but some are just terrible.  Really awful and strange and not cohesive or coherent and even...though I hate using this word...weird.  I'm sorry.  Some are just plain weird.  The kind where they end and all I can think is "I could have been watching something else.  I could have been watching How I Met Your Mother and at least have laughed or something."
3)  Some actors can do no wrong.  I mean, they've probably been in some awful movies, but even having seen those awful movies I can't think badly of them.  They will in all likelihood never lose my insane fandom.  Harrison Ford, for example.  I love the man.  I mean, love him.  Kirsten and I used to turn on the original Star Wars movies and just skip around to the Han Solo scenes because we just wanted to watch him.  I love him even though that whole fourth Indiana Jones with Aliens movie happened.  I just love him.  It can't be changed.
4)  Some of my favorite movies are just the worst things ever created.  I saw Red Dawn the other day and I don't know that I've ever laughed so hard.  The acting, the script, the concept of the whole thing...it was so many shades of ridiculous I just didn't know which made me happiest.  I highly recommend this film.
5)  Sometimes it's okay to watch movies that have no intelligence value.  The mindless action movies, stupid comedies, even the occasional sappy chick flick.  These things exist for a reason.  That reason is because sometimes we like to be able to sit back and be entertained without thinking anything at all of importance.  I am pretty comfortable with that.
On that note, it's time for me to leave and watch a little Harrison.  I found Patriot Games at the library.

1 comment:

  1. I love Paul Newman! He is fabulous! Even on a bottle of ranch dressing the man looks good! And Harrison Ford is one of my all time favorites! You, my friend, have good taste! I knew I liked you for a reason!

    ReplyDelete