2.14.2012

Please don't get me flowers...

...at least, not just because it's Valentine's Day.

Ah, Valentine's Day.  It's so polarizing.  For people happily in love, apparently it's a wonderful, romantic day.  For single folks, apparently it's sheer torture.  You know what I think?  I think regardless of your romantic status, Valentine's Day is meaningless.  Now, before the Valentine's-lovers attack with overpriced chocolate, let me explain.

I hate high-pressure days in relationships.  I get stressed out even on my anniversary.  I get stressed on birthdays.  I am just really bad at producing romance on command and I am terrible at finding good gifts.  My poor husband. For real.

I stand by this gift decision.

Even though I am terrible at the high-pressure relationship days, I see the point.  Of course I know why I celebrate his birthday.  I know why it is good to celebrate our anniversary.  I have no emotional connection to Valentine's Day.  None.  If anything, I enjoyed it more when I was single.  My single ritual was to get together with girlfriends and some pints of ice cream and watch chick flicks, heaping derision on the characters the whole time.  It was the best.  Seriously.  Chick flicks are so easily mockable, it's wonderful.

Well, this one practically mocks itself

This would be more of an issue for me if Tyler liked Valentine's Day, but I think he hates it even more than I do.  We have always had a mutual agreement to ignore the day.  Our first Valentine's Day together was spent eating pizza and playing group Halo (or, in my case, watching group Halo.  Working two joysticks at once is most definitely not possible for me).  Today, my festivities consist of making mozzarella sticks and watching some bloody action movie with him.

Welcome to my Valentine's Day.

My real problem with Valentine's Day is just the meaninglessness.  I don't like being told what to do.  I don't like being told that today I have to be romantic.  I don't like how insanely commercial it is (shocker.  I mean, it is a commercial holiday).  I am not paying $40 for a meal that is $20 every other day just because you sprinkled some heart confetti on my table and gave me a pink vodka drink.  I don't want Tyler paying half a hundred dollars for some flowers for me.  I know this all sounds very money-centric, but money is tight.  If we are going to spend on something memorable, let's buy Firefly on DVD or go on a trip.  And let's do it on our own time.

You can't escape forever, Tyler.  I will make you watch this.

If Valentine's Day is a special day for you, please celebrate.  Enjoy your day.  In fact, celebrate every day that has meaning to your relationship.  Celebrate the normal days.  If you are single, enjoy that too!  Being single is wonderful.  Flirt and have fun and meet someone wonderful and new.  Or, if you are introverted like me, spend your day on a couch in sweats eating delicious food and watching any movie you want.  Read a good book.  Dance around your apartment.

Valentine's Day doesn't really matter.  But it is another opportunity to have fun.  Go out and do it.  And if you have fun plans or a good story, please share.  I like stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment